Swing dance is a fun and energetic partner dance that originated in the United States in the 1920s. In its simplest form, swing dancing consists of basic steps to the side and rock steps, done to music with a strong beat.
Continue reading to learn more about what is swing dance.
When Was Swing Dance Introduced?
Swing dance refers to styles of dancing that originated during the jazz era in the 1920s.
It evolved from the dance halls of Harlem and soon spread across the nation.
Swing reached the heights of its popularity in the 1930s and 1940s before introducing to rock and roll in the 1950s.
While swing popularity declined, swing’s influence can be found in most modern dance styles, including hip hop, disco, and country line dancing.
What Are the Different Styles?
RoseMoli Women’s Latin Dance Shoes Satin Professional Ballroom Salsa Practice Performance Dance Shoes Tan-2.8
- Design: Elegant & generous classical style design.Adjustable crisscross ankle straps match shining rhinestone quick release buckle，the beauty and practicality are reflected in every detail.
- Material: high quality satin upper, soft & silky. High elastic latex midsole, high quality insole , soft breathable lining, extremely soft to the touch.
JUODVMP Women’s Latin Dance Shoes Rhinestones Satin Ballroom Dance Shoes Salsa Professional Dance Shoes,Model 430,3 inch Heel,Nude,7.5 US
- Upper Materials:Satin with rhinestones.
- Heel Height: 2.3 inch/3 inch/3.3 inch.
- Anti-slip suede sole:Good anti-slip and balance,light and durable,not only has elasticity,but also has abrasion resistance.
- Features: It is suitable for amateurs and professionals who practice and perform Latin, Salsa, Samba, Chacha and Rumba.
- Note:Please purchase by Amazon’s size
WUAILIM Ballroom Rhinestone Dance Shoes Women Latin Salsa Bachata Social Dancing Sandals L6889 (Black Satin, 1.5 Inches Heel, Size 10.5)
- RHINESTONE DANCE SHOES ,STEADY AND COMFORTABLE HEELS: 2.36 or 1.5 inch heels are high but not tired, steady but not heavy.
- TRUE TO SIZE :fit perfectly and super comfy,Can make you dance all night.Simple and generous style design, low-key luxury;Suede Sole for Ballroom Dance.
- COMFORTABLE FIT : soft
YKXLM Latin Dance Shoes For Women Ballroom Salsa Tango Professional Performance Practice Dancing Shoes,3.33″ heel,Colorful,7 US
- Outer Material:Made of colorful satin,fine sweat absorption suede insole, soft breathable lining, high elastic latex midsole with thick durable suede outsole, flexible and comfortable.
- Design:Classic open-toe design ,breathable and comfortable. Shoes buckle design provides instant slip and release.High-quality suede sole, with anti-slip, anti-static and mute effect, which can
RUYBOZRY Women’s Latin Salsa Dance Shoes Low Heel Lace-up Open-Toe Wedding Party Ballroom Dance Heels,FT087-Laces-Suede Sole-6.5,Black,US 8.5
- MATERIALS: Made of Suede leather.Soft and durable suede sole. Thick latex midsole, full of elasticity, non-slip and silent, suitable for indoor floors.
- DESIGN: Peep toe lace-up design ,Breathable mesh lace combine with the suede leather make the shoes fashionable and sexy.Stable flared heel type can better bear your
I’ve seen over a hundred swing dances and probably hundreds of variations.
Some of the best-known swing dances include:
- Lindy Hop
- Collegiate Shag
- Boogie Woogie
- East Coast Swing
The Lindy Hop is considered the original swing dance.
George “Shorty” Snowden coined the name after a dance marathon in Harlem in 1928.
Charles Lindbergh had recently completed his “hop” across the Atlantic Ocean.
The Lindy Hop references the historic flight that captivated the country.
After the Lindy Hop, swing dancing became popular among people of all backgrounds.
There is now an endless list of swing dances, but they tend to share several traits.
Swing dances are often fast-paced and involve a lot of swinging and throwing of dance partners.
However, the dancers mostly stay in one spot, making it easy to accommodate many people on a crowded dance floor.
What Is the Jitterbug?
I initially thought that the jitterbug was another type of swing dance before discovering several meanings.
Bandleader Cab Calloway may have coined the phrase when he said that the dancers on the floor looked “like a bunch of jitterbugs” due to their fast movements.
Calloway also had a hit song called “Jitter Bug, ” released in 1934.
We may also use “jitterbug” to refer to certain types of swing dances.
It’s often used when discussing the East Coast Swing or the original Lindy Hop.
Swing Dance Is Perfect for Beginners
While there are likely hundreds of variations of swing dances, the thing that I love most about swing is its versatility.
As with the jazz music that inspired swing, these dances are often improvisational.
You may follow a specific count and general idea, but you have the freedom to cut loose and let the music move you.
I’ve found that swing dance is more flexible and forgiving for beginners than many other ballroom dancing styles.
Swing dancing is incredibly fun and easy to jump into with no dance experience.
Now that you know more about swing dance, it’s time to slip into your dancing shoes and put some swing in your step.
What Is Swing Dance Summary
Swing dance is a style of dance characterized by big movements.
The dances often include steps in an 8-count or 6-count rhythm to the tune of upbeat jazz or big band music.
My first introduction to swing dance came in the 1990s when swing revival bands became a big hit.
However, the history of swing dance goes back much further.
Swing dancing is a type of social dance that originated from jazz music and was popular during the 1920s.
It is characterized by an up-tempo beat, often accompanied by fast footwork such as kicks, spins, and taps.
Swing dancers can wear anything they want to the dance party because there are no rules about what you should or shouldn’t wear to swing dance.